Feadship is short for the First Export Association of Dutch SHIPbuilders. The group was founded in 1949 after World War II had left Holland’s previously successful yacht building market in ruins. With little money available in Europe for ordering pleasure boats, the main players in Dutch yachting looked further afield. Six yards and De Voogt Naval Architects agreed to pitch their high quality products on the American market under the Feadship name.
Today there are three parties in Feadship: Two of the original yards – Van Lent (1849) and De Vries (1906) – and De Voogt Naval Architects (1913). Both yards have been granted royal status by the Dutch queen in recent years. Each member of Feadship has a distinctive history and its own in-house disciplines and craftsmen. Visit the contact page for all locations.
The De Vries Group is dedicated to custom-built superyachts of the highest calibre. This family business was awarded the designation ‘Koninklijk’ (Royal) at the time of its centenary in 2006, a title that is exclusively bestowed on companies that have distinguished themselves in terms of quality and craftsmanship.
Situated on Kaag Island, Royal Van Lent yard has roots dating back to 1849. Yacht construction started in earnest eighty years ago when motor and sailing yachts were built out of wood. Royal Van Lent rapidly expanded into the construction of steel and aluminium, and is now solely dedicated to custom-built motoryachts.
Legendary designer Henri de Voogt set up the company in 1913, and won races in his early—self-built—boats. Once focus shifted to naval architecture, De Voogt began cooperating with the De Vries and Van Lent yards. The partnership flourished after the creation of Feadship, and today De Voogt is the creative center of the organization.